In days gone by certain Cornish folk were known to supplement their income by smuggling and stealing the cargo of ships that had been driven onto the many reefs around this coast. Nowhere is more dangerous than the waters off Land's End where many ships have foundered.
To reduce this toll, in 1791 a lighthouse was built on Carn Bras, the highest of the small islands of the Longships Rocks. Because the light was frequently obscured in heavy weather the present taller lighthouse, built from granite blocks, replaced it in 1875. Its light, which shines every ten seconds, can be seen from nineteen miles away.
This is the view from just south of Land's End on a stormy day. The relentless pounding of the sea has eaten away the land even though it is of hard granite, leaving behind these spectacular stacks.